Saturday, April 4, 2015

Marketing Forum: Week 1

Topic 1: About You

I have a interest in Marketing. I have had experience with Social Media Marketing and I want to learn more about it. I am currently at LBCC getting my pre-reqs done while majoring in Journalism. However, I will be attending OSU this fall to major in Digital Communications there. I am interested in learning more about Social Media Marketing and how that works. Outside of college, I am passionate about Photography. I have my own amateur photography business which I do mainly in the summer. I also enjoy listening to country music and attending country music concerts and festivals. This month I will be attending a Garth Brooks concert in Portland.

Topic 2: In the News

The making and taking of the @portland Instagram handle -- Oregon Live

The article talked about this guy named, Marcus Harvey who recently graduated from college and began using Instagram to sell his clothing brand. Harvey, who is only 24, was able to secure a very unique username on Instagram (@Portland). On that account he began racking up followers by regraming/reposting photos that other people have took of  the Portland area. He encouraged people to submit their photos using the hashtag #PortlandNW. He was able to quickly rack up followers. By the time Marcus announced his clothing line (which had been a part of his plan all along) he had nearly 60,000 followers. He launched his clothing brand of Portland style shirts on Black Friday. In that first day he did $5,000 in sales and he only had 2 shirts for sale. Currently (as of April 4th) he has 91,600 followers and growing every day, and I am one of them.


The main point of this article is that you should use the power of social media to your advantage. Marcus spent NO money on advertising, he just posted two photos that first day announcing his shirts and was able to make $5,000. He was able to launch his clothing brand very successfully with no money, just by using Instagram.

I learned that Social Media is a great platform to promote and sell your products and rack up a loyal following of customers.

No comments:

Post a Comment