Thursday, April 23, 2015

Photojournalism Forum: Week 4

TOPIC 1: NPPA CODE OF ETHICS -- 

Most compelling item in the Code of Ethics, for me, is "Editing should maintain the integrity of the photographic images' content and context. Do not manipulate images or add or alter sound in any way that can mislead viewers or misrepresent subjects." I agree with this statement a lot. I don't mind editing images but I dislike when editing goes to far. I don't like it when I can't tell if the image is real or not. I think if images are heavily edited they need to state that it is digitally manipulated.

Under "Ideally, photojournalists should...", the statement that stands out to me is, "Think proactively, as a student of psychology, sociology, politics and art to develop a unique vision and presentation. Work with a voracious appetite for current events and contemporary visual media." I agree with this statement as at the end of the day, you are a photographer for the news. Photojournalists are the same as journalists, they just take photos of the news instead of writing about it. I think it matters because you should always be looking for news you can cover, and news that you can cover better with your images.

An Example of Digital Manipulation is this image from a local photographer. Although I love all the images Amy takes. Some (most) are highly highly edited and "can mislead viewers or misrepresent subjects." As much as I like the image, I think it needs to be stated that the image is edited as it could be misleading to viewers.

TOPIC 2: FAVORITE PHOTOS -- 

Photo by Toby Prescott
I really like this photo that Toby took. I like it because it has a great angle, he managed to get the ball in the shoot, and was able to get a natural sun flair. Overall its a very professional looking image.

Photo by Marwah Alzabidi  
I also like this image that Marwah took. I like this because it has great focus and depth of field, a interesting shot, and I like the reflection in her glasses. Overall, this is a very interesting photo of a Volleyball game.

No comments:

Post a Comment