Sunday, April 12, 2015

Photographer of the Week: Pete Souza

Pete Souza isn't a household name but his photos have probably been seen by millions. Meet the man who gets to photograph the President of the United States every day, Pete Souza.
Pete Souza

Souza got his start in Chicago working for the Chicago Tribune documenting the then young Senator, Mr. Barack Obama. By the time Obama got elected president, Souza had already produced a book - “The Rise of Barack Obama” – and secured Obama’s trust. After President Obama was elected, Souza was picked to be the Chief Official White House Photographer. Souza left his job at Ohio University's School of Visual Communication where he taught, and moved into the White House.

“I have multiple photographers on my team; they cover The First lady and the Vice-President.” They also assist me whenever the president has a big public event”. Souza even has a seat on air force one but he says, “I never have a chance to sit down in it because I am always taking photos!”

Souza has spent most of his life documenting presidents from Reagan to Obama. When asked about how he feels about photographing history he said, “I feel real fortunate to be in this position.” “Those are times when you really feel that you are documenting history. And for me, that's why I am still on this job - to be able to document his participation in history, it's a real unique position for me to be in.”

Souza admits he doesn't have a lot of time outside of work but he isn't complaining, “I love my job, even with as much time as it takes away from my personal life, I don’t mind.” "I use to tell people I am trying to create this visual archive of history, so 50 years from now people would look back, and look at these pictures, that I have created.”

Pete is a unique photographer in that he can take very serious photo that shows a tense situation, like the killing of Osama Bin Laden. Then the next, take a completely different style photo that shows Obama playing “Spiderman” with a kid. For all we know, those could have been shot on the same day (they weren't), but Pete is very versatile in his photography.

imrs.php
Inside the War Room during the raid and ultimate death of Osama Bin Laden.
This became one of the most viewed photos on Flickr. Photo Credit: Pete Souza

The other interesting thing about Pete that sets him apart from the other Official White House Photographers that came before him; he has the power to shape can how we see President Obama. No White House photographer before him had the power of social media and its vast distribution. Now the president, and Pete, can control his image like never before. An example; if we’re about to go to war, it wouldn't be smart to post that image of Obama playing “Spiderman”. Instead, they’re more likely to post an image of Obama sitting at his desk, thinking. Showing a lot of thought and dedication. Pete Souza has a unique power, he truly can control how the American people view their current president.

I like Pete’s photographs a lot. He has a unique perspective and subject that no one else has. In a lot of ways, I look up to him and his photography. He has the coolest job and is able to create timeless images that generations will look at for years to come.

It's hard to narrow down my favorite image that Pete has took, because he's took SO many. However, if I had to pick one it would be the photo above of the war room. I like this photo because you can see the emotion in everyones face. It really sets the tone for the room and the situation. It's also really cool that he was the only photographer allowed inside the room.

Sources:
http://www.haaretz.com/blogs/2.241/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-white-house-photographer-1.396500
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2012/12/19/pete-souza-president-obamas-secret-weapon/

No comments:

Post a Comment